Joy of Cooking’s chili con carne – verbatim
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 pounds ground beef or lamb
- 1 1/4 cups canned tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups canned kidney beans
- 3/4 teaspoon or more salt
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons chili powder (according to taste and strength of chili powder)
- Melt the drippings or butter and, once heated, saute the onion and garlic before adding the ground meat. Stir and saute the meat until well done.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, salt, bay leaf, sugar, wine and chili powder. Cover and simmer about 1 hour or longer.
The longer it cooks, the thicker it becomes and the better it tastes. Or make it a day ahead and reheat. Serve with tortillas or crackers or serve over cooked spaghetti garnished with chopped onions or shredded cheese. Serves eight to 12.